Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Thoughts on Obama

 

Today Barack Obama was inaugurated to be the 44th president of the United States. I had the opportunity to watch and listen to his speech. I had many thoughts about what he said.

In the inauguration Barack Obama said many things.  One thing that he said was “That despite the many crises the country faces, American will use their ingenuity and productivity to advance prosperity both at home and abroad”. When I heard that I thought to myself that we could have a great leader who one does not, put him first but instead he puts his people first. Another thing that he said that got me thinking was “Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America -- they will be met”. After I heard him say that I thought that we would finally have some peace in this country after all. I was astounded at how well he was able to give people hope.

The last thing that I heard him say was "On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics,"  That was my favorite thing that I heard him say, for one reason because it is something that everyone not just me needed to hear. I believe that Barack Obama is going to be a great president and will be able to bring back what we as a people can and should be.

All in all it was a great chance to be able to watch this great part of history. I know that with Barack Obama we will be able to start yet again and this time we will be a nation that can rise above all are conflicts. America can finally be not a something but someone.

 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You offered some good assessments about the speech. If you followed the campains, there were many promises made by both parties. The thing is, were they just words said to get elected, or can they be kept? I hope many young people will hold him accountable for following thru on those promises.

CecileQ, New Berlin [Waukesha] Wisconsin